4. Chicken and Vegetable Salad Rolls
Salad Rolls are the perfect definition of clean food. Super flavorful, colorful and full of veggies and lean protein. They’re also gluten free!
These salad rolls are made with a lightened up filling and lots of veggies all rolled up in a rice paper wrapper. Instead of using pork for the salad rolls filling, we used chicken to cut down on some of the fat content. Incredibly portable and easy to pre-make and take for a work lunch or a picnic. They keep well in the fridge for a few days as long as they are tightly covered in a container or covered with plastic wrap. I even froze a few and ate them later, although like most things, they are best fresh.
They would also make a great dish for a lite lunch with the girls!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g ground chicken
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 2 tsp grated or minced ginger
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- 2 cups finely chopped napa cabbage
- salt to taste
- package of rice paper wraps
- 1 red or yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 - 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 avocado sliced
- lettuce or spring mix
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 garlic cloves pressed or finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped or grated ginger
- juice of 1 lime
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the ground chicken till its browned and then add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrots and cabbage. Cook until the cabbage is very soft.
- Season with salt to taste. Put in a bowl.
- Slice up all your veggies and put them on a plate ready to assemble the wraps.
- Make the sauce by placing all ingredients into a small bowl and stir. Set aside.
FOR THE WRAPS
- Soak a rice paper wrap in warm water till it gets soft. I find that a plate works best for this. Then place the wrap on a flat surface.
- Put about ¼ cup of the ground chicken on the wrap, Then top with the veggies. A bit each of the peppers, carrots, cilantro, and avocado.
- Roll up the wrap by following the instructions on the back of the rice wrapper container. Kinda like a burrito. Fold the one side over the meat and veggies then fold in both sides. Finally roll it up until its all tightly in a package.
- Keep rolling until all the filling is used up.
- Serve with the dipping sauce.
By JULIE & DEBBIE